Skip to main content

About Our School

How Kelley Got Its Name

Nine years of conscientious attention to the task of safely escorting Rialto children across the intersection of Riverside Avenue and Second Street, made John P. Kelley one of the more familiar sights in Rialto from 1949-1958.  For the elementary school children who crossed at his intersection, he was a trusted friend and they looked forward to greeting him on their daily travels to and from school.

Mr. Kelley directed his efforts to training the children to wait for a safe time to cross rather than allowing them to become dependent on the crossing guard or the false security of the pedestrian crossing.  In this way, his teaching became a vital part of their early childhood education.

On September 24, 1959, the Board of Trustees of the Rialto Unified School District, recognizing his contribution to the safety and welfare of Rialto school children, named the new elementary school "J.P. Kelley" after Mr. Kelley.

J.P. Kelley Elementary School was the eighth school built in the Rialto Unified School District.